When you bring home your new kitten you are excited and proud that you now have a pet in your home. However, you can be challenged as your kitten grows into an adult cat. This is where cat training to make your life easier comes into play. If you do not train your cat, you will notice over time that it will begin to own your home.
Cat owners need to begin to train their kittens as soon as you bring them home. The earlier you begin to train your pet the better it will be for your household. This article will provide some tips to make your life easier in the following ways:
- Reduce your fear of cat preying on other pets
- Increase your pleasure by showing off your pets tricks
- Remove need to get rid of your houseplants
- Prevent scratches on your lovely furniture
- Prevent embarrassment of smelly carpet from pet urination
- Increase petting pleasure
- Decrease need to listen to cat's meow
Reduce Your Fear of Cat Preying on Other Pets
Generally speaking, all cats have natural instincts for prey such as birds, small rodents, or small dogs. If you have some of these pets in your home and your cat seeks to prey or brother them, you can do something about it.
Here is how you can begin.
- Teach your cat to stay out of the room where these pets are by using commands or rules. Modify the room arrangement to keep pets apart
- Use a baby gate to separate cat and dog
- Do not place conflicting pets food and water next to each other
- Spray cold water on her face when you notice your cat is taking action to prey. Cold water is unpleasant and will help her to shape up.
Increase Your Pleasure By Showing Off Your Pet's Tricks
Every cat owner wants to think their pet is the most intelligent and find pleasure is showing off what their cat can do.
Here is how to begin.
- Set aside a lot of time for training.
- Be patient. Learning doesn't happen over night.
- Set up a training schedule. Consistency is important.
- Have your cat's favorite treat handy to reward progress. Use soft moist cat food or dry food as a treat. Training treats should not be more than 10% of your pet's total diet for the day.
- Start with one on trick at a time until your pet has mastered it. When your cat has mastered one, go on to the next. As you are teaching your cat new commands, be sure to work at her speed. Each cat is different.
Remove need to get rid of your houseplants
Dirt is a natural material for your cat to use when she does her duty. How can you stop this? Here are some tips you can do so that you do not have to get rid of your household plants.
- Provide a clean litter box. Cats don't like a dirty litter box.
- Re-pot the plant urinated in. Your cat will smell where she did her duty before and return to use the same plant again.
- Put some type of pet repellant on the plant. Such repellant is available in a pet store.
Following these tips should help you preserve your household plants.
Prevent Scratches On Your Lovely Furniture
Cats by nature have a natural instinct to scratch. This natural behavior allows them to clean, sharpen claws, and establish turf by leaving a scent and mark. They like to scratch because it is good for their back and shoulder muscles. You cannot prevent your cat from scratching. The trick is to have your cat scratch where you want her too. To prevent your pet from scratching your furniture consider the following:
Have your pet's claws trimmed. Cats can become tolerant of getting their nails trimmed on a regular basis, especially if you are careful, gentle and reward her after each trimming session with a treat and verbal praise. If you do not like the job, have the veterinarian do it.
Provide your pet with a scratching post or pad. ·
As a last resort, you can remove your cat's claws.
Prevent Embarrassment of Smelly Carpet From Pet Urination
Every now and then, your cat will have an accident. So how are you going to get rid of the stain and odor? There are many ways to remove the stain; However, here is a quick, easy and inexpensive one.
- Pour a straight solution of white vinegar onto the soiled areas, saturating the carpet enough to go through to the padding. Allow it to dry. Clean the carpet with a mixture of a carpet cleaner with enzymes and pour in some baking soda and a very small amount of bleach. This should remove the stain and odor.
Every now and then, your cat will have an accident. So how are you going to get rid of the stain and odor? There are many ways to remove the stain; However, here is a quick, easy and inexpensive one you can use.
Pour a straight solution of white vinegar onto the soiled areas, saturating the carpet enough to go through to the padding. Allow it to dry. Clean the carpet with a mixture of a carpet cleaner with enzymes and pour in some baking soda and a very small amount of bleach. This should remove the stain and odor.
Increasing Petting Pleasure
When a new kitten is around the house and you have children, the first instinct of the child is to pet the cat. As an owner of a cat, it us embarrassing and disappointing when children want to pet your cat and it bites or hisses at them. Here is the process of how you can increase everyone's cat petting pleasure.
- First , let the cat sniff the person wanting to pet her. Ask the individual to extend a hand or finder allowing the cat a chance to touch its nose to the individual's hand or fingers. If your cat shows no interest, ask the individual to try again later. However, if the cat should sniff the individual's hand or finger and rub its chin or the side of its head against it, your cat is open to the one petting it.
- Next, have the individual pet the cat's head lightly with their fingers. Have them focus on the area behind its ears. When petting, go from front to back.
- Third, ask the individual to run the palm of their hand smoothly from the neck and along the back, all the way until the tail is reached. Have the individual apply gentle pressure and make a continuous slow motion. Ask them not to touch your cat's tail and to not change petting direction.
- Lastly, ask the individual to stay away from the tummy. When cats are relaxed they roll over on their back. This is not an invitation from your cat to start rubbing its tummy. Most cats do not like this, however if they do, they will be ready to play vigorously and your cat may bite or scratch.
Decrease Need to Listen To a Cats Meow
Cats will do whatever it takes to get attention. This will include meowing, purring or running around in circles. Sometimes cats will use these tactics to manipulate their owner.
Generally, when your cat meows she is expressing affection. Female cats use it to call their young. Male cats use it when approaching a female in heat. And, some cats use it to call their masters when they are lonely. If your cat should meow, he / she just may want some companionship. Give it to them.
By following just some of the above tips, your life with your cat should be easier and more enjoyable. Remember, training your cat must start when she is a new kitten.
Happy cat training!
Source by G Haas